Sunday, September 12, 2010

Android App Spotlight #23: GetGlue

Price: Free
AppBrain
Website

Many people in real life are only now beginning to find value in apps that check them into businesses. So imagine me trying to convince you to take the checkin one step further and start checking in to everything else you're doing, whether it be watching a TV show or movie, reading a book, or playing a videogame?


NOW YOU CAN!


GetGlue is a website that focuses on likes. Think Facebook has cornered the market on liking things? Think again. You can like anything you want on the website, but the fun really begins when you download the app and a new and exciting world opens to checking in to just anything your heart desires.

I almost find checking in to activities more useful than locations. I watch a crapload of television and film, and sometimes in my discussions with my friends they misunderstand just what I'm all about, and am surprised to find that I'm a fan of True Blood or Aqua Teen Hunger Force or How I Met Your Mother. Checking in to these activities serves as a way of sharing my interests with my friends and possibly starting conversations I might not otherwise have had. Let's talk about that film I saw or book I read - and you know I read it, because I f'n checked into it, that's why.

Liking and checking into things earns "stickers," a straight ripoff of Foursquare's badges. The thing about GetGlue is that 1. Stickers are easier to earn than badges and 2. They're not just digital bragging rights - if you earn seven stickers, you can get actual stickers mailed to you, so now you have physical proof of just how many mundane moments of your life you are sharing with people you think give a shit on the internet!

The app feels a little hefty at 4.75 MB, and it's a little slow to load, but I haven't run into any hiccups aside from them not recognizing the Truffaut film Bed and Board, but stickers are cool, and maybe one day I'll have that in-depth conversation about SCTV that I've been dreaming about. So add me as a friend why dontcha?

No comments: