Friday, April 23, 2010

Big Country

I like a pretty wide variety of music, which might be why my favorite band is Béla Fleck and the Flecktones. Fleck, one of the world's best banjoists, takes his bluegrass roots and combines them with the funk background of Victor Wooten, the jazz background of Jeff Coffin, and the experimental background of Futureman to create a style of music the fans have called "Blu-bop." 

In 2000, I was a kid ripping CDs that I borrowed from the library. I rented Left of Cool because it featured Dave Matthews on a couple of tracks, but it was the track "Big Country" that caught my attention and made me a Flecktone fan. Since then I have listened to a lot of music, but that song remains a favorite. 

Here are three different versions of it, showing the versatility of the group and the type of genre-bending at which they excel.





No comments: