Sunday, September 12, 2010

Android App Spotlight #26: Remote Notifier

Price: Free
AppBrain
Website (Get desktop component here)

Back when I had my old Audiovox PPC4100 I always wondered why there was no way to interface between my computer and my phone when I had the thing docked and connected to my PC. It was especially an issue when I was wearing headphones and I would miss a text or incoming call because I couldn't hear the thing. They were both running Windows (at the time) and yet I was lucky to have my email and contacts synced without issues. Turns out (spoiler alert!) Windows mobile was a horrible OS, and it took six years and several phones to find a fairly elegant solution.

Remote Notifier is an app that communicates with a corresponding program on your Windows, Mac, or Linux desktop. Install both applications and you will get handy alerts on your desktop whenever you get a call, text, MMS, or a battery notification. Everything is customizable, you can choose what you want to be informed about.

Personally, I switch to my wifi connection whenever I'm in my apartment, and that makes it easy to get the notifier working using the default settings. For those who want to use their 3G to send the info, it will take some more confooguration of the app-motron, or whatever, so the site has a good tutorial on how to do it. Remote Notifier is another one of those tiny apps that does one thing really well, and is such a small burden on your phone's resources that it's cool to have and doesn't cost you anything.

No comments: