Sunday, August 1, 2010

For Dinner: Chinese Short Ribs with Long Beans

Long Beans are in season, and I was surprised to see that my local Dillon's had some on sale (though not cheap, at $4.69 per pound), so I grabbed some while I had the chance, with an epicurious recipe in mind. I wanted to continue the Chinese theme, so I found a Tyler Florence recipe for short ribs to accompany them.


The peanuts worked well with the beans - though given Serious Eats' writeup, I was expecting a significantly different flavor than regular green beans. I don't really like ribs, though - they're typically hard to eat, and these were no different. I managed to cut a few ribs for myself, but there was still a lot of fat remaining that I was not interested in eating, and I dreaded trying to salvage the meat from the remaining half rack for my leftovers, so I ended up just throwing them away. The flavor was nicely complex from the five spice rub and the glaze, though a bit salty - something I take responsibility for, given that I only had full-salt soy sauce, not the low sodium the recipe required.

No comments: